Sunday, August 1, 2010

Connections to Facilitate Learning

Working on this application made me realized the connections and resources I constantly use, and the ones I don't use enough, to facilitate my learning. As I was composing my mind map I discovered that I don't take advantage of the printed materials that are available for my benefit that could assist me with my learning, and even with my profession. Publications such as California Educator and NEA were previously used by me for leisure reading, but paying more attention to the articles this week, I realized that the topics are something I should be more aware of.

My network changed the way I learn because it connects me to other resources that supplements and complements my skills and knowledge. Whatever skills and knowledge that I lack, or need to improve on, my network provides me with guidance and support. For example, when I first received my SmartBoard I had no assistance on my site because I was the first one to get the device, but through a posting I put on the district website, I received the support I needed from teachers who work at different school sites. With the new skills I acquired I will be able to help teachers on my site who will soon get their SmartBoard. Based on the support and skills I need to improve, my network also changed the way I learn because my sources enable me to organize and map out who I need to collaborate with.

The best digital tool that facilitates my learning is the World Wide Web. Just like some of my peers, I do my work when family responsibilities are satisfied, which could be late in the evening or early in the morning. During those hours my human network are most likely not available, hence I rely on tutorials from youtube, Walden site, and specific blogs to assist me with my learning. For example, I worked on my mind map at around 5:30 A.M. and my wife was still asleep to assist me with the file conversion, so I relied on my e-resources to complete the needed task.

When I have questions I gain the knowledge by using at least 3, or all of 4, of my network resources. The order in which I use my network to gain that knowledge depends on the topic, complexity, and the degree of accuracy I need. When I have questions about a literacy strategy I would want to first gain that knowledge from my human network, then e-resources, and finally from printed materials.

My personal network supports the tenet of connectivism by utilizing "technology, social networks, and information" (Siemens). Also according to Siemens, "So much of our work is distributed. Our knowledge literally is distributed across other networks of human beings, technological devices, and other ends" and my network is set up where I am a learner, while also providing support to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment